Now that Thanksgiving is done and over, we’re moving on to other delicious holiday treats. Gingerbread is one of the many iconic holiday treats when snow begins to coat the ground. From cookies, cakes and even coffee, we find gingerbread’s spice-laced flavor a holiday extravaganza. These gingerbread brownies do not disappoint, but keep that in mind: they are hard to keep out of your hands.
Gingerbread is a versatile ingredient. It can be incorporate into moist cakes or dense cookies. Gingerbread is fragrantly flavored from ginger and sweetened with molasses or honey. It posses a versatile spiciness from the ginger making the dishes a sweet and savory treat. We see it most commonly used in cookies to form little men–gingerbread men and women. Today, gingerbread is used in coffee creamers, cakes, breads, icing, hot chocolate and other desserts. The spiciness makes my taste buds come back for more.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- I used gingerbread cookies in place of the cake mix.
- DO NOT use the ingredients listed on the box keep to the recipe linked above.
- The powdered sugar adds a snow like quality to the brownies. I added the powdered sugar because it’s necessary for that holiday feeling.
- You can substitute the cake or cookie mix for a gingerbread recipe passed down from your family; however, you will want to use the dry ingredients only.
- The dough will be a little sticky and should have a firmer texture than normal brownies.
- I cooked mine for about 20 minutes. They were the perfect consistency of ooey,
- The longer the brownies set the firmer they will become. They should be eaten within a few days of baking.
- I like to bake my brownies in one big pan rather than using individual slats because it keeps the edges gooey. The centerpiece is the best!
By the end of this baking adventure, you will have a simple and delicious holiday brownie. Gingerbread brownies work well as treats for neighbors or holiday parties. Within 25 minutes, you have a unique treat that will be gobbled up in minutes. They can be made with only three ingredients and little time. The recipe is an easy cheat with professional results for those of us with little time or little experience baking goods.
Leave a comment with your favorite gingerbread treats. Follow my Pinterest for more recipes. Check back again next Wednesday for more tips and tricks from The Cooking Bug.