Chocolate lovers will indulge in these savory and sweet desserts. They are rich and delicious hitting the spot for a chocolate craving. These Nutella scones will be hard to keep your hands off during your morning breakfast run.
Scones come in many forms both sweet and savory. However, even the sweet scones have a certain savory factor that makes them…scones! Scones are dry and airy like shortbread. Keep that idea in mind when chomping into them. While these scones are stuffed with Nutella, they still can dry out your mouth, so I suggest accompanying them with a glass of milk or coffee.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- I used heavy cream, but you can substitute with evaporated skim milk if you want to try and cut calories.
- Make sure to have the flour mixture in a food processor so that it incorporates evenly. It can be whisked; but, you would have to add it to a food processor to mix in the butter. Mixing it by hand would leave the butter stuck to your utensil rather than incorporated.
- Creating a hole in the flour to add the egg mixture is essential. You can then fold the flour mixture over it and begin to incorporate it.
- The more you squish the mix, the more it becomes like moon sand and forms a dough. Just be wary to scrape the sides and bottom so that all the dough is used.
- Spread the dough out thin with a roller and then add as much Nutella as you want. I used about ½ cup.
- Keep the Nutella in the center and away from the edges or you’ll end up with it oozing out the sides.
7. Fold the outside in and then pat down the center. Roll it once or twice to the desired thickness of about 2 inches. Don’t over roll it or the Nutella will ooze out and your scones will become a globby mess.
8. Cut the scones into even pie slices to bake in the oven.
9. It is okay if you don’t make a circle, just try to cut your scones to resemble pie slices so they cook thoroughly without burning.
9. Let them cool before you chow down. The cooling process solidifies the Nutella and allows the scones to become drier like shortbread.
10. I suggest drizzling the Nutella on the top when you are ready to eat them that way you get a baked Nutella inside and gooey Nutella outside.
Easily make these chocolate breakfast treats to enjoy on the run or for a midnight snack. Just make sure to have someone to have someone to take in the rest to or you’ll become addicted. There are thousands of scone recipes from savory to sweet for you to try your hand at. Mix; bake; enjoy!
Leave a comment with your favorite fudge. Check out my Pinterest for more recipes. Check back again next Wednesday for more tips and tricks from The Cooking Bug.